CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

How are you spending your New Year's Eve??

We are spending it sitting here in New Jersey today. I can't even describe to you what kind of emotional, stressful, and tiring day it has been spent at the Passenger terminal today. We arrived at 930 AM at the terminal to wait patiently for our flight to arrive and find out if we would be on it. The roll call wasn't until 330, so we knew we had plenty of time to waste around the airport. Around noon or so, the snow started falling and the wind started picking up. The next thing I knew they were changing our roll call to 740 PM, uh oh, I knew this wasn't going to be good. They made an announcement for us telling us that the plane might not even be able to land, due to winds. My heart dropped. Here we go again. I just wasn't sure how much more my emotions could take. All we could do now was wait and watch the weather and the screen to see if the time was changed again for roll call.
Finally around 6PM they announced that they were not sure of how many seats were available, but they wanted to get us all ready so when the plane lands, we all could be bused out there and take off.....to home....Travis AFB. After taking all of our luggage, giving us tickets, purchasing a meal, and sitting down waiting to be called to the gate, they made another announcement. They flight was being delayed, yet again, for TWENTY-FOUR hours. This time my heart not only sunk down, but tears instantly welled up in my eyes. All I want is to be home, in my bed, with my dog and enjoying my last few days before I have to go back to work. That's all I want, is that so much to ask for? I had my fun, saw all my family, even seen lots of snow, so I am done with this trip and want to be home!
I knew this announcement was bad for many reasons. 1. There wasn't any billeting rooms (like we stayed in the night before) open on the base. 2. It's New Year's eve and I wasn't sure how easy it would be to find a hotel room. 3. I wasn't going to sleep in my bed yet another night.
Well, we found a room over here at an Army base connected the Air Force base. The kids have had a BLAST today. They have been wonderful and have played so hard with many new friends we have made on this leg of the trip. They are out in the hallway playing with many of them as I type away here in the room. They think this is just the best vacation ever. I wish I could say that I am enjoying it as much as they are, but at this point I am not.
So we will be spending our New Year's eve here at Fort Dix, New Jersey. I am sure we will stay up tonight until the New Year arrives. I am going to pull out my camera and start making some memories cause I know one day I am going to look back at this and just laugh and talk about how much fun we had. I know my kids will look back and remember this New Year's Day.
On another note, I found out today of a date when my husband will be arriving home! Yes, I will be hugging and loving on my husband in 13 days!! Can you believe it? I can't believe that six months has finally went by and is coming to an end. Hooray! I finally made it. I am so very proud of myself for how well I have handled this deployment. There aren't many people that can do what I do on a daily basis.
I am going to go and play with my kids now in the hallway. Can I just say there are some GREAT people in the military? I have had so many people that have helped me with my luggage, and I have LOTS of luggage, and have made sure I found a place to stay. It has been wonderful. We have met some great people. We are all in the same boat and all stranded here, but are making the best of it. We all ordered Chinese at the terminal today. I think I saw the Chinese Delivery guy about 4 times today. He made some good money today. Tonight we all went in together and got some Domino's. I hope you are enjoying your New Year's eve as much as I am.
I just hope this next year I get to spend more time with my husband than I did this year. That in itself will make it the best year ever.......

0 comments: