CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 14, 2007

Our decision to do Foster Care...

We decided a few months ago that we wanted to do Foster care. We were inspired by others in our family to start this process. First my mother n law decided to do Foster Care seven years ago and now has adopted the four children she received in her Foster Care. Then our brother and sister n law decided to adopt from Guatamala and that is probably when the urge started...ok maybe before that, but their story inspired me to help a child in need. I would love to adopt a baby...from China..I fell in love through Mindy's first blog, but knew that financially we could not do it. That is why I decided to do foster care. I know that Foster care is not going to be easy and I will get attached to every child that walks through my door, but I feel that there is such a need and it is something I am called to do. Kids are my passion, they always have been. I had Chelsea when I was only 18 years old and although I was by far a good mom, I knew that I loved kids. I was babysitting when I was 11 years old and kids have always been a part of my life since. When my step-sister and I were seniors in High School, she had a baby girl. There was a time when she decided to "sew her wild oats" and left the house for a few months. She left my niece with me to care for...at seventeen years old. It was then, that I knew my destiny was to be a mother. I should have waited until I was mature enough, but then I wouldn't have my daughter Chelsea.
This is why I feel the need or urge to do Foster Care. Not sure if I am trying to find my purpose in life, but I do know that we have an awesome home to offer a child out there somewhere. We can teach this child about Jesus and how to be a part of a family. Matthew 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven." I want my light to shine, to a child, to the social workers, to the Biological parents....everyone! I have been praying for the little boy (we can only have one child...a boy) that will be a part of our family, whether it's one week or one year, who knows how long, but I know however long he is here, I will let my light shine to him.

4 comments:

Melissa De Mers said...

Hi Brandy,

I am Melissa ~ Mindy's friend. Anyway, I think fostering children is a wonderful gift. NOT just anyone can do this. I know because one of my friend's does this. :)

It is a great thing you are doing! I love looking at your blog - your kids always look so HAPPY and LOVED.

God bless you on this fostering journey! I will be praying for you. :)

In God's Love,
Melissa

Cheryl Jones said...

Brandy!

I just saw you listed on Mindy's blog! Hey, I am telling you this blogging is addicting! I have been reading blogs since Mindy started hers too! I don't read alot of them, but do have some that I follow and pray for. I love every night getting on Mindy's blog and seeing pictures of the kids! I check before I go to bed and always hope that she posted some! LOL!
Great Mother's Day pictures Brandy!!!! And as far as the fostering or adopting. Follow your heart! The Lord will totally open up the door to either one and provide what you need to do either of them! You know that when we acknowledge Him in All Thy Ways, He will direct our paths! Isn't it exciting to see what the Lord has waiting for you guys ahead!
I will be praying for you!
It was just wonderful to see the kids and all of you and you all look wonderful and so happy!
Hugs from Ohio!!!!!!!!

Melissa De Mers said...

Hi again Brandy,

Thanks for posting to my blog also!

I just realized that you are the family in CA. :) Travis AFB, right? My husband and I were both enlisted in the USAF - we got out right after Haylee was born in 2002. But I liked the Air Force a lot, it matured me.

Mindy says she's visiting in Oct sometime. It would be a LONG drive for me, as I'm in South Orange County...but we'll pray about it & see if I can drive on up there to visit.

Take care, God bless...
Melissa

Anonymous said...

People should read this.